The small church was founded by Pope Julius III
(1550-1555) to celebrate his escape from prison on 30 November 1527,
during the Sack of Rome. It was built as a commemorative monument.
Construction started in 1552, and was completed the next year. This
coincides with the change from the Renaissance to the Counter-Reformation,
and the church is an example of the transitional style. An alternative
name of the church is S Andrea a Viale Tiziano. In 1805 Giuseppe
Valadier restored it.