According to tradition, in the 8C on the site where
S. Agnese was martyred, an oratory was built. In 1652 Pope Innocent
X commissioned Girolamo Rainaldi and his son Carlo to rebuild the
church as a family chapel attached to his palace. From 1653 to 1657
Borromini took charge of the work. The church was completed at the
end of the XVII century.